Open Safely. Together.
| By Lowe’s
From elementary schools to public universities, students and educators across the country are starting to trade virtual learning for in-person learning – an experience many have missed. This school year, educational facilities are taking extra precautions with the increasing health risks brought on by cold and flu season.
To combat the spread of illness and prevent school closures, educational facilities need to take extra cleaning and sanitation measures. Following the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guidelines for cleanliness and social distancing is crucial for the safety of students, teachers and cleaning staff this school year.
Moreover, following these guidelines is easier with quick access to a variety of personal protective equipment (PPE) and sanitation products. According to the CDC’s latest guidelines for schools, stringent disinfection and cleaning practices play a critical role in mitigating respiratory and surface spread of disease, including COVID-19.
How can schools and universities prepare for the return of students and staff? While maintaining clean, safe facilities in light of ongoing national health concerns may seem daunting, Lowe’s makes sanitary operations simple.
To help schools and universities follow the CDC’s guidelines, Lowe’s is stocking the products campuses need to combat the spread of COVID-19. Visit the EPA’s List N for a complete list of products that the EPA has deemed effective in fighting COVID-19 when used as directed.
According to the CDC, here are some basic ways that campuses can prepare for returning students:
- Arrange desks and other seating 6 feet apart to comply with the CDC’s social distancing guidelines.
- Provide your janitorial staff with proper, high-quality PPE products. Contact Lowe’s for details on our wide PPE product selection.
- Sanitize and clean all hard surfaces according to the CDC’s guidelines for cleaning and disinfecting facilities like school and university campuses.
- Make sure that students, teachers, staff and visitors stay home if feeling ill and follow proper protocol for returning to school.
- Make proper face protection readily available and implement its use per state and school district guidelines.
- Ensure that hallways, walkways, classrooms and commons areas are set up so that students and staff can easy follow social distancing guidelines.
- Set up proper signage to designate walkways and social distancing areas.
- Stock your facilities with the proper cleaning and sanitation products – and this is where we can help.
Most importantly, you can help ensure that everyone in your educational facility stays safe this season by getting students, faculty and staff on board with your school safety initiative.
You can help staff and students do their part in keeping all areas of your campus clean and safe by making sanitation simple. While exact cleaning and disinfecting requirements vary by state and school district, Lowe’s supplies campuses with easy-to-use products designed to facilitate personal sanitation and social distancing.
In addition to the above tips, we can more specifically help you:
- Implement touch-free hand sanitizer dispensers throughout your facility – in cafeterias, classrooms, assemblies, restrooms, hallways, offices, break rooms and more.
- Retrofit commons areas with anti-microbial surfaces and sneeze guards.
- Stock your campus with disinfecting wipes, hand sanitizer, safe cleaners and disinfectants, sanitizing wands, PPE and safety equipment, cleaning equipment and other essentials for a healthy campus environment.
- Excellent customer support for questions about keeping your campus clean and safe this semester.
Getting back to school this year is a safety-first endeavor. With the help of Lowe’s, you can ensure that your campus has the resources it needs to follow CDC and state guidelines for reopening.
Learn more about our selection of cleaning, disinfecting and PPE products in our program guide and catalog – and start your school year on a safer, cleaner note.
This article includes general information from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), along with ideas to help support local school reopening strategies. This information, as of July 2020, does not constitute medical or legal advice, nor does it serve as an endorsement of any service or product referenced herein. Schools should consider applicable laws and mandates, school policies, and unique cultural and community considerations to guide decisions and shape processes. SOURCES: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/, www.epa.gov/coronavirus, www.epa.gov/listn © 2020 Lowe’s. LOWE’S and the Gable Mansard Design are registered trademarks of LF, LLC. All rights reserved. Product availability may vary by market.
About the Author
Founded as a small hardware store in 1946, Lowe’s is now a national chain with over 1,700 store locations. E&I’s competitively solicited Lowe’s contract features discounts on both walk-in and online purchases.
< Previous: Indoor Air Quality in Schools During COVID-19